Thursday, July 31, 2014

Excuses, excuses

No excuses. It's an interesting phrase that gets tossed around in running - especially in conjunction with inspirational stories of overcoming adversity, disability and extraordinary circumstances. It's framed as - if the guy who lost a leg can run a marathon, what's your excuse? This person lost 100 pounds by running, sensible eating and the POWER OF GREYSKULL. Why can't you get it together?
PS: I want to be She-Ra
These stories, meant to be inspiring and empowering, can come off as stress-inducing or guilt-trippy. Especially if you're like me and find yourself clumsily falling into a shame spiral at a moment's notice.

But that's not the point - it isn't a contest of who has faced the biggest challenge and TRIUMPHED!!! but rather an individual, day to day quest to get a little better and a little stronger.

After the Bayshore Half Marathon over Memorial Day weekend, I found myself with the incredible pain, moving from site to site on my lower body. It started with knee pain from pre-Bayshore that subsided after I completely stopped running for two weeks. It then migrated to shooting pain in my hips, making sitting, laying, sleeping and of course RUNNING, out of the question. As I started physical therapy, it seems that lower back weakness and inflammation may be the real culprit. I've now spent a pretty penny on x-rays and PT co-pays and have missed out on the first half of summer running.

And the voice inside of me says: a little back pain and you can't run? Why aren't you cross-training more? Getting your diet in order?

Answer: I don't know.



So I've found myself nearly back at square one with running and weighing the most I have in about 5 years.

The good news is, my body hasn't forgotten everything. I'm able to run 3 miles pretty easily and I'm ready to start upping my distance to 4 or 5 miles for "long" runs and continue maintain one or two days of short running during the week.

As for my pace, well... that was never much to brag about to begin with. So in an effort to honor my body for its abilities instead of putting myself down for my limitations, I've boldly embraced the title of Pace Group Leader for 12:30 minute/mile (and up) in our Moms Run This Town group runs. Why fuss over how slow I am when I can help a new or slow runner feel welcome? I know how lonely the back of the pack can be, so the tortoises need to stick together!

Moms Run This Town Group Run 7/28/14

So now it's time to keep on keeping on, get back on the horse, cause it ain't over til the fat lady sings and this is where the rubber meets the road. 

(Are these cliches doing it for you? I could do this all day. Beggars can't be choosers, you know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to sign your post if you are "anonymous!" I want to know who my awesome readers are!